Well, I finally upgraded all four systems to Jaunty Jackalope. I did the upgrade in pairs so that the entire network wouldnt be offline. I spread it across two days. I used the tutorial from UbuntuGeek to upgrade via the konsole. It was mostly painless, with my laptop being the most troublesome. Having to re-configure a separate network manager, that wasn’t immediately visible, was a nuisance. I had to add a widget to the panel and then configure the widget. I would have preferred to keep my connection.
Adept Manager, Edgy Eft, Feisty Fawn, Gutsy Gibbon, Hardy Heron, Kubuntu, OpenSSH, Server
adept, dist-upgrade, edgy, gui, gutsy, hardy, Kubuntu, openssl, openssl vulnerability, Server, Ubuntu, weak keys, workstation
I have admittedly put it off for way too long. The recent OpenSSL Vulnerability with weak keys prompted me to change that on one of my systems. I was forced to use dist-upgrade when OpenSSL would not update, leaving me to continuously recreating weak keys. While I normally update packages using the command line, I was hesitant of using the GUI for Adept Manager. My previous attempts with dist-upgrade have all been failures (From Edgy to Feisty to Gutsy…) so I was not really expecting a smoothe transition. I used the GUI Adept Manager because it was the recommended method per the Kubuntu Hardy Heron upgrade documentation. Adept immediately gave me an error and closed the first time I tried. I rebooted and tried again with the same error. I kept trying, and it finally decided it would do it…and it did it well. I rebooted and I was almost unable to tell any difference. I did notice I had the new wallpaper available, but otherwise, OpenSSL let me create new, uncompromised keys… and that was what was important to me. It was so painless, I felt brave and tried it on another server. This time, no error message, and it upgraded just as easily. I still have one workstation remaining on Gutsy, a laptop that I don’t have any pressing need to update. The slow server took about two hours to update, and the faster one took about one hour.